Ebru UNAL, admitted to Istanbul Bar in 2000, admitted to New York State Bar 2005
Education: 2000-2001 Columbia Law School, LL.M.
1994-1998 Marmara University, Faculty of Law LL.B.
August 1998 Princeton University, Golden Gate University, South Texas College
of Law, Summer School- Concentration in International Law
1991-1998 Uskudar American Academy
Experience: 2006 – Yeditepe University Faculty of Law, Lecturer
2016 – Unal Law Office, Managing Partner
2013-2016 Herguner, Bilgen, Ozeke Attorney Partnership, Partner
2003-2013 Herguner, Bilgen, Ozeke Attorney Partnership, Associate
2012 Allen&Overy LLP, Secondee Associate
2006-2007 Deutche Bank A.Ş., Secondee In House Counsel
2000 Ersoy&Bilgehan Legal Consultants, Associate
1998-1999 Aldogan Law Office, Legal Intern
Ms. Ebru Unal is highly esteemed and sought for in the Turkish M&A market especially when it comes to completing complex, cross-border M&A and energy deals. During her work at Herguner Bilgen Ozeke Attorney Partnership, she advised during all phases of projects and specialises in general corporate law matters, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equities and funds, privatisation, securities transactions, project financing, foreign investment, energy law, mining and import-export regulations. She also dealt extensively with public policy and government affairs and government entities. Her work as a secondee associate in Allen&Overy LLP in London concentrated in project finance and energy deals. In particular, assistance provided to offshore wind plants in the UK, various middle eastern and Saudi energy companies regarding tenders, their corporate matters and project finance. She also performed in the client pitches and several speeches on the Turkish M&A and energy markets. She is currently managing her own law office, Unal Law Offices and teaching International Business Transactions I and II in Yeditepe University Law Faculty which concentrate on import and export regulations, cross border transactions and international sale of goods agreements, payment methods, investment structures, and M&A transactions. Other courses included: Energy Law and Policies, Law Firm Practice and U.S. Legal Methods.
- Ms. Ebru Unal has been continuously recognized as an expert for her M&A practice (chosen as one of the twelve M&A lawyers selected and advised for Turkey). Who’s Who Legal, Turkey (2015-2014-2013-2012);
- Ms. Ebru Unal receives praise from peers and clients for her work in international transactions, M&A, energy and mining sectors and for her “dedication to delivering solutions for clients” Who’s Who Legal, Report Turkey (2013).
- “Ebru Unal is international acclaimed for her expertise in the mining industry and is considered an infrastructure specialist. She is also a go-to lawyer for energy matters.” Who’s Who Legal, Report Turkey (2013)
- IFLR1000 recognised her M&A experience leading the DANONE deal (2012).
She has also given many speeches and authored may articles particularly on M&A and energy related issues. Some of them are noted below:
- “How to Eliminate Critical Risks in M&A Transactions?” Panel Discussion: Solutions and Products Available for Transferring M&A risks, Supported with Case Studies (2016- Panellist and Speaker);
- “ An Outlook on the Energy Geopolitics of Turkey and How They Influence the Oil and Gas Industry” Turkey Oil and Gas 2014 Summit, Istanbul (2014-Speaker);
- CEE Legal Matters, Experts Review “Solar Electricity Generation in Turkey” (2015-Author);
- Global Legal Group 10th Ed., Questions for International Comparative Guide to Oil&Gas Regulation 2015 (Author);
- Global Legal Group 9th Ed., Questions for International Comparative Guide to Oil&Gas Regulation 2014 (Author);
- The American Lawyer, “Corporate Personality: Thin as a Veil or Thick as a Shield?’ (2013-Author);
- The European Energy Handbook 7th Ed., Energy Law in Turkey- “Recent Developments in the Turkish Energy Market” in association with Herbert Smith LLP (2013-Author)
Languages: Turkish, English